Sample Schedule for a Stay at Home Mom

I have a lot of moms ask me how I manage to juggle everything I do in a day. Even though I have an awesome husband and an awesome God that gets me through every single day. Recently I came up with a daily schedule that also helps me juggle my daily responsibilities.

So I thought I would go ahead and post a sample of my daily schedule here. Keep in mind this is just a sample and it was designed around my responsibilities and my personality. It has been tweaked quite a bit and I still try to remain flexible throughout the day.

Here is my sample weekly schedule (Mon. – Fri.) for a Stay at Home Mom:

• 8:30am – 9:30am: Wake up and get ready for the day & have about 15 – 20 minutes of Bible reading.
  • 9:30am – 10:00am: Breakfast
  • 10:00am – 10:30am: Get the kids dressed and ready for the day.
  • 10:30am – 12:30pm: Free time to either clean the house, play with the kids, workout, or run errands – just depends on the day.
  • 12:30pm – 1:00pm: Lunch time. If I plan to run errands this day then I pack a lunch the night before so the kids and I can eat in the car and I can get an extra 30 minutes to run errands.
  • 1:00pm – 2:00pm: Playtime and homeschool preschooler.
  • 2:00pm – 4:00pm: Nap time for my little ones. My oldest starts her homeschooling through the Abeka DVD program, and I work online.
  • 4:00pm – 5:00pm: Cook dinner, while my oldest finishes up her DVD lessons.
  • 5:00pm – 5:30pm: Eat Dinner.
  • 5:30pm – 6:00pm: Clean up the kitchen.
  • 6:00pm – 7:30pm: Free time. If I don’t have time to get devotional time in the morning I do so during this time as well. I will also use this time to pack lunches for the next day if we plan on running errands, have an appointment, etc.
  • 7:30pm – 8:00pm: Bath time and get kids ready for bed & bedtime snack.
  • 8:00pm – 8:30pm: Quiet time for the kids, then bedtime.
  • 8:30pm – 11:00pm: Veg out in front of the TV while snuggling with my hubby!

Some things to remember when planning a daily Stay at Home Mom schedule:

1. Be flexible.
  2. Don’t over schedule.
  3. Schedule time for yourself.
  4. Work within your and your childs personality.
  5. Talk about your schedule with your husband.
  6. If you aren’t a morning person – don’t force it.
  7. Establish routines: a morning routine, bedtime routine, dinner routine, etc.
  8. Make sure your priorities are reflected within your daily schedule. Make sure to schedule quality time with God, your husband, and children on a daily basis.
  9. If all else fails – try, try, again. Don’t be afraid tweak your schedule throughout the day/week to come up with a permanent schedule that works with you and your family.

Developing a daily schedule can truly help to turn a life of chaos into a more productive – fulfilling – life!

Join 21 other subscribers

Comments

1. says

whoa. 8:30! that’s awesome! our kids get to bed between 8 & 8:30 and are ready to go between 6:30 – 7. I am NOT a morning person, but if the kids are up and hungry, i don’t have a choice :) i’ve been working to get up at 5 just so i can have a quiet time and get in a shower. schedules are definitely the way to go though, otherwise i would waste my day away on the computer ;)

• Crystal Timberlake says

My kids get up super early as well. I find that when I get up at 6am a little one is soon coming down the stairs. I have to get up at 5-5:30 to get quiet time for myself. It’s hard because I usually stay up late working. I’m working hard to find a schedule that works for my family.

• says

Hey, Crystal thank you for commenting. I know what you mean about trying to get up early but staying up late. I know for me I am a night person and find having quiet time at night works best, or early afternoon when the kids are doing seat work or playing. :)

2. says

Hi please help spread this wonderful site to your fellow moms.
    I believe this is a great site for the kids and I want to help spread the word. I got this mail from a dear friend of mine and she is giving a great deal. Take a look at it. I truly believe that this is a great site for the kids.

~candice

Moms, check out http://www.AngelHeavenWorld.com , a new safe and wholesome Web World and toy line appropriate for children ages 3-11. I know I have spent hours looking for safe places for my child to play and explore on the web that didn’t have me worrying about the content or messages or images she was getting. The really cool thing is that Angel Heaven is now running an internet membership promotion.

Any parent, (or grand parent, or aunt or uncle…) who signs their child up for a one year paid membership using this special promotion code: REP008 , will receive $4.95 off the price of their membership which then equals to $30 per year. This is like paying $2.50 per month. And, every new member receives a free “McMichaelee” Guardian Angel Guide doll with their paid membership!

Angel Heaven TM is an interactive, entertaining, wholesome, and safe web world created especially for today’s children by Artist and Author, and Mother, Sharon M. Hayes. Interactive games and downloadable coloring pages help build children’s basic skill sets like hand/eye coordination, reading, creative thinking, singing, and reasoning. Check it out today, and don’t forget to use promotion code REP008 for your special discount. I just bought my daughter a membership for Easter, I can’t wait to surprise her.

3. Laci says

wow! dana wrote exactly what i was thinking! my husband and i still see a christian counselor even more than a year after and split in our marraige. we are both committed and going crazy in the day to day. our counselor recommended a schedule. thanks for the tips! he also said flexibility is key and not to let your schedule dictate you!

4. Lisa says

Thank you for giving us a sample of your schedule!! I think the main thing for any schedule is to be flexible!! I have an in home day care and a son with Autism. If I can have atleast 15 min. a day to read my bible and manage to get everthing else on my list done, I count that as a blessing from God!!

5. says

this was so helpful.i am recovering from a car accident and am temporary at home with my two year son. i often feel like i’m not being very productive. your schedule was truly an answer to my prayers. i can now tweek it and make it work for me. God bless you.

• says

I’m so sorry to hear about your car accident, praying you have a speedy recovery! I’m very happy to hear this article helped you. Thank you for reading my blog. God Bless you too! :D

6. says

hey thanks so much for ur schedule..
    it really helped me…because i live sorta “everybody loves Raymond “type of household. where the mother in law breathes down my neck and telling me how unproductive iam …. i will try to stick to ur schedule..
    my question is how do u have time to cook and eat dinner with in a hour and a half?
    for me thats how long it takes for me to get all ingredients ready and cook it (meals with meat have to cook for at least an hour.)
    thanks

7. says

Hi Natalya, thank you for your comment!

We actually work to make really quick meals. We do this by using our slow cooker A LOT or preparing ingredients for the meals ahead of time. For example if I’m making spaghetti, for the sauce I need to brown meat, well since I’m already browning meat I will brown some meat for the next night’s dinner.

I think it has a lot to do with meal planning and just planning meals that don’t take a lot of time to prepare and cook. But also being flexible in the schedule is important because sometimes our dinner time lasts longer than usual, and that might be because our meal was more complicated and took longer to cook OR the kids took forever to eat, lol!

8. Cassandra says

I have an 10 year old, a 3 year old, a 1 year old and we are expecting our 4th in April, you’d think I’d have the answer by now! LOL I find that if I don’t stick with some sort of a routine my life falls into chaos. It was easy when it was just my oldest daughter and my son, very doable, then I had my third child ( my 2nd daughter) and all still seemed okay, now she’s walking, talking and getting into things, and my son has become a little unruly. I’ve become some what lax in my schedule area and it’s time to get back on it and make time for me too!! I never realized the importance of self until now. I have no time for me and if I don’t get at least a small reprieve during the day, it’s not healthy for me or them. I have a mentality of do it all right now with everything there is to give. So naturally I give all of myself there is to give until there is no more of me that is GOOD left to give ( if you can understand that? LOL) And as a Christian you want to positive and upbeat all the time, but the fact is being a mom is a really tough job and it doesn’t matter how seasoned you are sometimes you need help getting back to the basics! I praise the LORD that I found your sight be basic is what I need for my little angels right now! May Gods Blessings chase you down! ~*~

• says

Hello, Cassandra! Thank you for your comment, I’m so glad you found this post helpful. I know what you mean about the third child, it is such a BLESSING yet can be totally overwhleming at times. I find myself often going back to my schedule, the routines, etc. Because I get off track or life throws us a curve ball and we just need to get back to what works for us. With kids and life it’s difficult to do everything perfect all the time. What’s important is that we trust in God, and remember to go back to what works for us, or even simply finding what works for us can do WONDERS. :D

9. Dawn says

Hi Cassandra!

You are a God send! I have never met anyone that will have the same schedule that I have.a I always feel like I am cheating because I don’t get up so early in the morning. I even nap my children from 2-4pm. I am very, very, very encouraged by your schedule and I will like to share this with a friend. I am orginally from NYC and life there was extremely hectic and I didn’t get married until I was 31. I felt the assimulation into domestic life very difficult. I had been working up to 3 jobs since I was 16 years old to survive the OUTRAGEOUS NYC cost of living!

I know live in the South and I am a foster parents. I have been a Christian for about 15 years and I am struggling with getting the household on track. I noticed I need to declutter, be organize without being a Nazi, and pray, pray, pray more! Right now, I am fostering a 6mos, 21 mos and a 3 year old. I just adopted my 18mo old. I have had 22 children in 2 years. Many of them required countless trips to the doctors, WIC, Health Dept. and needed therapy and this makes the day crazy! I had the same schedule you had and I felt guilty because I always seem to be behind everyone else. Well, I am encouraged and I thank you!

Dawn

10. says

Hello, Cassandra. First and foremost, congratulations on being able to keep a schedule and help keep everything in order in your household.
    Secondly, I am going to try to follow your schedule a bit as a guideline. I have recently become a stay-at-home-mom once again. It’s really tough when a person goes back and forth from working to not working.

As of right now, I have Irish Twin girls. They are both 3 years old right now, and my oldest will be 4 years old in February. They are such a handful. When I was with their father and we were living together, I was a stay-at-home-mom (he wouldn’t allow me to work). It was very difficult then, but at least they took naps so I was able to get some time to myself. After we went out seperate ways, I went back to the working world for about a year. Oh, I was working before I had my daughters, and I was made to quit after having my first until we split the first time. Now, I am again in the position of being a stay-at-home-mom, but it is because we have found out that I am pregnant with twins that are due this summer. I really want to work because I find it easier than being at home all day long, but since this is the card I have been dealt at this moment, I really hope that following your schedule a bit will help me cope.

Have a blessed day. :)

11. L.J. says

I am a new stay at home mom. We have two children 8 and 12 and are now pregnant with our third and plan to have a fourth soon after this one is born. I noticed you said you work online, how do I go about finding a real work from home job? Any pointers? We really need the extra money!

Thanks so much!

12. Cassandra C. says

It is so good to find a group of mommies who have the same values as I do, and can relate to what I go through on a daily basis to survive motherhood! I have a four year old daughter, a two and a half year old son, and a fifteen month old son. There are days when I have to DARE myself to get out of bed! It can be so exhausting… it’s definately a blessing to have a smooth hour, let alone a smooth day. I would be completely lost without a schedule, even a loose one. My husband is very supportive, but even so he has a hard time understanding where I’m coming from on some things since he isn’t home with the kids day after day. It’s different when it’s ongoing… it’s so important to have “me” time somewhere in the day, otherwise it feels like I could lose my mind! I’m glad I have a place to come when I feel that way :)

13. Nicole S says

Wow, this schedule is so helpful!!!!
    I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old and, on Wednesdays, a 1 1/2 year old as well. I work two days a week and 2 nights. During the summer I feel as though I am torn in so many directions!! This is awesome, and I will try it!!
    Just one question…my 3 year old wakes up at 5:30 am, any suggestions?? I am thinking I can exercise and home school her at this time vs the afternoon. I am also seeking home school tips/books/etc for the summer (my 6 yr old) and for my 3 yr old, year round. She will be going to preschool 2 days/wk as I work also:) Praise God for your insight and this post.

14. Ruth says

Beautiful schedule. Does anyone have a sample schedule for life with a 2 year-old and a newborn? Any tips for dealing with sleepiness during the day after waking up several times at night? I can’t wait to get back to “normal”!

• Mellissa says

I currently have a 2 year old who is potty training and a 1 month old! Here is my very loose schedule:

7am wake & nurse ( I nurse on cue actually as this is best, but he usually is hungry at 7am) Then I plug in my hot rollers, get dressed, put on my shoes ( I find putting on my tennis shoes a motivation to get my day going) & change my newborns diaper. My newborn then goes into a carrier as I wear him a LOT during the day; it helps meet both our needs!

8am- 2 year old wakes (he sometimes wakes earlier & I try to be sensitive to his need for security & I get him right away & let him cuddle in bed with me while I nurse his brother or he’ll just watch me do whatever I’m doing.) Then he uses the potty and gets dressed.

8:30- make breakfast (usually while listening to KLOVE to help set a positive tone for the day!) & I get the 2 year old involved with making breakfast. Example: he puts the toast in the toaster & pushes the lever down. Put a load of laundry in & I go put my rollers in so that my hair can fix itself while I attend to my kiddos ;) I often start my slow-cooker at this time too!

9:00- eat breakfast (my newborn just nurses in the carrier again whenever he’s hungry).

9:30- 2 year old plays while I have “quiet time”

10:00 – Laundry in the dryer, potty breaks & diaper change, shoes & coat on & 2 year old in the stroller for a walk. Newborn is in the carrier again, I let him “play” for about 15 min after I change his diaper.

We then go for a walk & if I have any errands I do them at this time. I live in a small town & find it easier to walk to the post office, bank, wherever vs. getting 2 under 2 in & out of a car! Sometimes we’ll walk to the park & play at this time.

If weather does not permit a walk I try to find a fun activity like making home made playdough or doing “gymnastics” together.

11:30: We’re home by this time & I make lunch, change diapers, nurse, etc… whatever their needs are at the moment

noon- lunch time! Usually my newborn is playing in his pack in play (as long as he’s content) to give me a break from babywearing.

potty break & diaper change

play time- play with both kids, nurse, whatever! I play a children’s music learning CD at this time (counting, abc’s…).

1:30- at about this time I move my 2yo to his room for quiet play with books or puzzles.

potty break & diapers

2:00-4:00 nap time for 2 yo

usually my newborn is wide awake from about 2-3 LOL, so I just make it an opportunity to play individually with him. When he gets sleepy I rock him & might get in about 20min TV time! When he’s asleep I lay him down & clean the kitchen or fold laundry. If I need to I take a nap!

4:00- potty break & diaper change, then snack time & start dinner if I haven’t already. 2 yo plays by himself or “helps” me. I take breaks to have dance parties with him in the kitchen or bang on a “drum”(pots & pans). My newborn is in the carrier again at this time. If my 2yo is not playing well then I’ll sit him at the table with an activity like coloring or play dough.

5:15- my husband gets home & after having about 20 min to himself either takes over playing with both kids or will finish dinner (and sometimes starts it if I’m behind)

potty & diaper!

6:00- 2yo “sets table” I try to find age appropriate tasks for him like setting paper plates & plastic forks & counting the people who are going to eat to tell me how many we need. I also let him put things like condiments on the table.

6:30- we actually eat! Yes, I sometimes start dinner at 4 and we don’t eat until 6:30! I just try to build in the time so that I have time to stop & nurse, change diapers, kiss a boo-boo, etc… Or if I just can’t think of what to make right away!

7:30- vitamins & family time

8:00- bed routine (potty, baths, jammies, teeth, bible story, prayers)

8:30- 2yo lights out!

I then nurse my newborn & hand him over to my husband to hold while the baby falls asleep and my husband checks his email. I take my shower at this time.

On good nights our newborn is asleep for at least an hour at this time and we get time together! When he wakes I usually nurse him again & then go to bed.

That’s it! Some days are chaos and some are smooth sailing. I didn’t think too hard when coming up with this schedule, but rather just recognize that it is what was developing out of everyone’s needs and I just try to keep it as organized as possible! There is a lot that could get done that just doesn’t. My priorities are God then making sure everyone is fed, clean, & LOVED! Everything else just has to get done as “spare time” permits!

15. Christy says

I am so happy to find your site. I am a stay at home mom and am really struggling with my “early bird” kiddos. I have a 2 year old, and an 8 month old. I am not a morning person, but they get up between 5:30 and 6:30am. Every time I try and keep them up later at night, they seem to wake up earlier and earlier. They are very sensitive to being over tired. I would love to start my day later. Even 7am would do, and I’d get up at 6:30 to have a half an hour to myself and spend time with God. waking up any later sounds like a wonderful dream :-) Do you have any tips? Should I just push my kiddos cold turkey to an 8:30pm bedtime and let there be a couple of days where they’re groggy, but knowing they’ll catch up??

A very tired Mom

• Angie says

Hello–I have found that the earlier the kids go to bed, the better they sleep in–I know that doesn’t make sense but when my almost 2 yr old goes to bed late, he does not sleep very well or sleep in. I have 4 kids from almost 2-9. If you don’t nurse, then give the baby a bottle when they wake up and change the diaper and she/he might go back to sleep for awhile. My almost 2 yr old takes a sippy with milk and I change him in the crib and can get him to sleep until 8am or later–this is with a 7:30 bedtime and 2 hour naps–All of my kids did this for the most part. They would wake around 5 or 6 I was able to get them to sleep a little longer with milk. My almost 4 yr old wakes at 7 but usually I can get her to at least lay in bed quietly or play quietly until I am done with my prayer and Bible study–my older girls I wake at 7:30 for school. Anyway, hope this helps–I know when the kids were around 8mo they would go to bed around 6:30 or 7pm hth

• says

Thank you so much for the comment, Angie! I agree, it’s weird, but my kiddos do sleep longer if they go to bed early. It’s kind of like that for me too. :)

16. Kasi says

Thank you for posting a schedule that doesn’t start at 5:30 AM!!!! I am a total night owl and need to get my heiny in gear with a schedule. This is the best one I have found that will only require minimal tweaking to make it work for me and my family. Thank you!

• Memi says

I am so very happy that I found this website. I am a stay at home mother now. I do have a schedule, it just doesn’t seem very productive (lol). I look forward to reading all that is on here to become confident with my new role in life.

17. Faith C. says

Thanks so so much for your schedule! I am a mom of three and the oldest is only four yrs. old. I am at my wit’s end. I’m so grateful and will diligently try to get my family scheduled. The most important thing about your schedule is the time you set aside to do your quiet time. I’m so stubborn and I’ve known all along that all my efforts will be fruitless until the Lord has priority in my life. May God bless you. Thanks again.

18. BRANDI says

This is great! I always felt so lazy because my daughter and I usually don’t get up until 9-9:30 many days. She stays up pretty late so that she can spend time with my husband when he is home at the end of the day. I’ve always been kind of embarassed to tell people when we start our day because they all get up at 6:) So glad to know I’m not the only one who’s not a morning person!

19. Antoinette says

I have a 2yr and a 1yr I get up at 8 to get my husband ready and off to work by 8:30 I go back to sleep an get up at 10:30 feed the boys at 2 lunch play an 1yr takes a nap my 2yr may or may not take a nap my 1yr will be waking up from nap at 4 get a snack dinner at 8:30-9 bath everyone sleep around 12:30 I go to sleep around 2 how can I make my time work because im having a hard time getting everyone to bed at a decent time.

20. Natalie Bowen says

My husband and I just moved from Chicago to Dallas. After working full time for 9 years, I am now staying home with my 2-yr old, which is an answer to prayer. It’s a lot different than the M-F 9-5 life but God is teaching me time management and priorities. I guess where I get stuck is between perfectionism – thinking I should be entertaing him/teaching him/playing with him ALL day…or being too busy (or too tired) and letting him have (maybe too much?) TV time…he loves Thomas :) Anyway, many moms have multiple kids so they can play together. I hope to make friends here quickly for play dates, etc. But what can you recommend to a mommy of one?? =)

Trackbacks